Tapping your emotions – how boosting emotional intelligence improves your real estate business
A+ Agent

Tapping your emotions – how boosting emotional intelligence improves your real estate business

We may have been trained or led to believe that we should leave our emotions at the door the moment we step into the office or meet with a client. But in a highly personal business like real estate, being attuned to the emotions of your clients and the people you interact with can actually be beneficial.

What is emotional intelligence?

Emotional intelligence (EI) describes one’s ability to recognize and understand not just the emotions they are experiencing but of others as well. EI is often broken down into three parts: being aware of emotions, using emotional understanding to solve problems and regulating your own emotions to impact others.

Why is emotional intelligence important in sales?

The psychologist Daniel Goleman has said that IQ only determines 20 percent of our chances for success and that the remaining 80 percent is determined by social skills, interpersonal skills and, you guessed it, emotional intelligence. Salespeople that score high in emotional intelligence often achieve better results and have more loyal customers. Clients that feel their real estate agent is on the same “emotional wavelength” as them are happier and more engaged.

How can I improve my emotional intelligence?

If attuned emotional intelligence doesn’t come naturally to you, there are a few methods you can practice to help bolster your ability to read and manage emotions. Here are a few tips to try:

Be empathetic: Step into your client’s shoes to view a situation from their perspective. In order to do this effectively, you must get to know your client better. Ask questions and discover their interests and hobbies.

Take time: Instead of making quick judgements and being reactive, take time to process and understand your feelings as well as the emotions of your client. When a client gives you a negative response after a viewing, your instinct may be to express frustration. But instead, you can take a moment or two to understand how the client felt and also manage your own reaction with patience and a level head.

Tackle difficult situations: Don’t delay or avoid discussing difficult topics if they’re important to a successful transaction. It may be our habit or a social norm to dance around a touchy subject, like a client’s renovation project or trouble obtaining financing. Addressing it head-on will allow both you and your client to discuss the options and solve the problem.

Leave your thought here